Upcoming San Diego County Cycling Events
Fun Individual and Family Outings
San Diego residents who enjoy cycling have the advantage of tremendous year-round weather that makes it feasible to go bike riding practically whenever they desire. San Diego cycling not only offers individuals a great way to build their fitness level, but to socialize with people of similar interests. Beginners, as well as experienced bicyclists, have a range of events, races, and routes from which to choose.
SDCBC—Sponsored San Diego Community Rides
The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition (SDCBC) offers a once a month “Learn and Ride” excursion that introduces beginning riders to road riding as well as the dynamics of riding in groups. These community rides attract cyclists of all bike riding skill levels. The ride typically covers a distance of eight to ten miles over flat land. The excursions pass through some of the most pleasurable and scenic areas of the San Diego community.
Individuals and families seeking casual bike riding events will enjoy the SDCBC outings, which promote ease of conversation and interaction with fellow bike riders. Each ride has multiple stops scheduled along the route, including time to eat. Beginners will find these events a great way to practice various techniques and enhance their riding skills. Most rides begin at 9:00 a.m. and do not require registration.
- June 24, 2012: This ride starts at the Mission Bay Visitors Center located at 2688 E. Mission Bay Dr. Exit at Clairemont Drive from Interstate 5 and go west.
- July 28, 2012: Meet at Tidelands Park off of Mulinex Street.
- August 26, 2012: Bike the Bay offers a non-competitive annual event that had over 2,900 cyclists participate in 2009. Cyclists must register for this ride, which includes individuals, families, and corporate sponsors. The ride consists of a 25-mile scenic trek over the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge through Coronado, Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, and National City. The excursion culminates at Embarcadero Mariana Park South and includes food and entertainment.
- September 30, 2012: Riders meet at Dog Beach, located at the west end of Voltaire street; meet next to the bike path.
- October 27, 2012: Gather in the parking lot of Souplantation at 3804 Valley Center Drive – take the Carmel Street exit.
- November 25, 2012: Meet at Pier View Coffee Co., located at 300 Pier View Way.
Upcoming San Diego Bike Rides
Many of the San Diego biking rides and events have specific rules and registration requirements. Visit the event’s website or call the contact person to receive more information.
- July 4, 2012: The 35th Annual Scripps Ranch Bike Ride, which covers 12, 28, and 50 miles, starts at 7:00 a.m. Checkin begins at 6:00 a.m. The event commences at Hibert Street and Scripps Ranch Blvd. and finishes at Hoyt Park. Call (619) 685-8453 to learn more about this riding event.
- August 4, 2012: The Urban Dare bike race consists of team of two cyclists who solve clues and take on various challenges in a race to the finish. The event, which supports breast cancer research, starts at the Typhoon Saloon, 1165 Garnet Ave., San Diego, at 11:00 a.m. Contact Kevin Keefe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-285-4510 for more information.
- August 21, 2010: The 39th Annual Midnight Madness Fun Bicycle Ride starts at 9:00 p.m., and covers a beautiful 18-mile loop course over flat landscape. The loop course takes in the San Diego waterfront as well as historical communities. Begin at Spanish Landing Park East, 3900 N. Harbor Dr., San Diego.
- July 13-15, 2012: Cycling For Sight Tour
- October 20 – 21, 2012: The Bay to Bay Tour is organized by the MS Society. This two-day tour follows the coastline of Southern California and riders can participate in 30, 100 or 150 mile rides. The National MS Society hopes to beat 2009’s fundraising of $2.3 million!
- October 20-21, 2012: MS Ride
- December 15, 2012: Toy Ride
San Diego bicycle accident Attorney Frederick M. Dudek, a bicycle commuter, with over 35 years of cycling experience in San Diego and throughout California, offers this resource to you. If you suffered injury or property damage in a cycling accident due to a negligent motorist, contact Attorney Dudek for a free no cost obligation to discuss your case.