Sleep is important, but few understand just how powerful a night of decent shut-eye really is. A good night’s sleep can vastly improve your ride, and send you flying past mile markers you may have never reached before.
In an effort to help you get your beddy-bye time sorted out, we’re sharing a list of easy ways to get your best night’s sleep.
Sandman’s Checklist for Better Sleep
- Get the Timing Right – Did you know that you actually sleep in cycles of approximately 90 minutes? Your body goes through from light sleep to REM sleep and back to light sleep in 90 minute intervals. Try to time your sleep schedule so that you wake up at the end of one of those cycles. For example, if you fall asleep at 11:30pm, set an alarm for 7am.
- Cool It On the Caffeine – We’re not saying you can’t have any, but try to set a cut-off point for yourself. If you stop taking in caffeine about six hours before sleepy time, your body should have plenty of time to get it all out of your system.
- Dose of Sunshine – First thing in the morning, take a step out your front door or look out a window. Natural sunlight gets the body ready for the day, so immediately taking in some sun should let your body know that they day has started and to get in gear.
- Black Out – Research has shown that you’re more likely to get better sleep when there is less light. If you live in an area with a lot of outside lights, get some black out curtains.
- Ditch the Phone – If you haven’t heard this one already, we’d be surprised. Studies have shown that people get better sleep if they stay away from their phones for at least an hour before turning in. The bright screens, even with the brightness all the way down, can keep your brain spinning for a while, preventing it from winding down.
- Chill Out – Thermoregulation has a strong impact on the quality of your sleep. Sleep researchers have found that room temperatures between 62 and 68 degrees allow for the best sleep. If you go too far above or below those temperatures, you may not sleep as well.
If you’re having trouble sleeping, or just want to give yourself every advantage to improve your ride, try checking a few things off this list to see how it helps you. Sleep tight!
Call or fill out an online form today for a free consultation, and to find out how San Diego bicycle accident attorney Frederick M. Dudek can help you if you were injured in an accident.